Altadena Library District
The Altadena Library District is hiring for a Marketing Specialist. Under general supervision of the District Director, this person performs a variety of specialized duties related to the District’s marketing programs and strategies to increase visibility and awareness of the District’s services, resources, and programs; provides content and graphic design for print and online promotional materials; designs and maintains the District’s website and social media content; prepares annual budget recommendations and monitors program expenditures; and performs related work as required.
We are seeking candidates who are dedicated, enthusiastic and detail-oriented that will be adaptive in their role as the District embarks on two building renovation projects. This dynamic person is highly responsive, is committed to organizational health, has a growth mindset and places a priority on creativity and innovation in their work. They must also have strong writing and communication skills in a variety of formats. We are seeking a candidate with experience in marketing, communications, and graphic and web design.
- Organizes and coordinates the District’s marketing programs and strategies to increase visibility and awareness of the District’s services, resources, and programs.
- Develops, produces, executes, and measures success of marketing and public relations campaigns and strategies in line with District objectives; designs, writes, creates, and publishes marketing materials; prepares newsletters, email blasts, graphic design, brochures and handbooks, posters, and promotional videos to promote the mission, values, and strategic goals of the District as well as District programs special events, and related services; disseminates information to and elicits feedback from the community; monitors, analyzes, and reports on the effectiveness of marketing communications; develops and maintains the District’s brand.
- Researches, writes, and distributes press releases to targeted media; serves as the District’s liaison for media inquiries; prepares related written and marketing material; edits and approves promotional materials generated by other staff to ensure consistency with District branding; maintains effective
internal communications to ensure all Library staff are kept informed of marketing objectives and other District activities.
- Creates and maintains the District’s digital marketing presence; designs and maintains the District’s website to publicize services, programs, and resources; manages and updates information and engages with users on social media sites.
- Prepares and presents staff and agenda reports and other necessary correspondence related to assigned activities and services; presents reports to various commissions, committees, and boards; provides staff support to commissions, committees, and task forces, as necessary.
- Attends and actively participates in staff and professional group meetings, conferences, seminars, workshops, and networking committees; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in marketing; researches emerging products and enhancements and their applicability to District needs; reviews professional resources and literature.
- Receives, investigates, and responds to difficult and sensitive problems and complaints in a professional manner; identifies and reports findings and takes necessary corrective action; ensures District services are provided with exceptional customer service and the highest levels of ethical standards.
- Creates positive experiences for library patrons by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications, and appearance while performing duties in both public and staff areas; greets and assists internal and external customers in a friendly, prompt, and accessible manner; works in conjunction with Administration, managers, and other staff to respond to the needs of the public.
- Represents the District in public forums including, but not limited to, Board of Library Trustee meetings, community group meetings, and community events; develops and maintains positive working relationships and coordinates activities with the Board of Library Trustees, support groups, community groups, non-profits, local schools, local media, and members of the community; works in conjunction with staff and other managers to respond to the publics’ needs.
- Directs the establishment and maintenance of working and official program files.
- Ensures staff compliance with District and mandated safety rules, regulations, and protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current trends related to marketing, communications, and other areas of responsibility.
- Best practices in marketing of library services.
- Web development and web maintenance applications.
- Graphic design techniques and methods.
- Social media and its application to marketing library programs and services.
- Principles and practices of budget development and administration.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Techniques for effectively representing the District in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, the media, and various business, professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
- Recent and on-going developments, current literature, and sources of information related to the operations of marketing programs.
- Methods and techniques of preparing technical and administrative reports, and general business correspondence.
- District and mandated safety rules, regulations, and protocols.
- Modern equipment and communication tools used for business functions and program, project, and task coordination, including computers and software programs relevant to work performed.
- The structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and District staff.
- Perform a variety of specialized duties related to the District’s marketing programs.
- Prepare and administer operating budgets; allocate limited resources in a cost-effective manner.
- Understand, interpret, and apply all pertinent laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures, and standards relevant to work performed.
- Maintain a personal commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Commit to the principles of intellectual freedom and equal access.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Hold self and others to the highest level of accountability.
- Demonstrate effective creative writing, creative thinking, time management, attention to detail, and public speaking skills.
- Effectively utilize video editing and graphic design equipment and software programs.
- Work efficiently and calmly under challenging conditions.
- Respond to complaints or inquiries from patrons, staff, and outside organizations.
- Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, policies, procedures, and other written materials.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, and present technical information and data in an effective manner.
- Identify problems, research and analyze relevant information, and develop and present recommendations and justification for solutions.
- Effectively represent the District in meetings with governmental agencies, community groups, the media, and various businesses, professional, and regulatory organizations, and in meetings with individuals.
- Direct the establishment and maintenance of a variety of filing, record-keeping, and tracking systems.
- Independently organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments.
- Effectively use computer systems, software applications relevant to work performed, and modern business equipment to perform a variety of work tasks.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, using appropriate English grammar and syntax.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience:
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in marketing, communications, business administration, or a related field.
- Two (2) years of responsible experience in marketing, communications, and/or public relations
To apply for this job please visit www.altadenalibrary.org.