In partnership with over 200 libraries, archives and museums (and growing), California Revealed (CA-R) is a multi-year project providing digitization, digital preservation, and online access to books, documents, photographs, audiovisual recordings, and ephemera that tell the incredible stories of the Golden State.
California Revealed gathers best archival practices for digitization and digital preservation, establishes low-cost, practical standards, and then manages digitization, online access, and digital preservation activities on behalf of partner organizations. Free public access is provided for teaching, research and study. In addition, records are shared with Calisphere, WorldCat, the Digital Public Library of America, and the Home Movie Registry.
CA-R is grant-funded by the California State Library. Project operations are located at the California State Library in Sacramento.
There are two Digital Preservation Intern positions available with contracts until August 2019, with the opportunity for renewal, dependent upon available funding.
The Digital Preservation Intern will help support the following activities:
- Perform quality assurance and control of new digital preservation files and metadata records.
- Prepare collection materials for digitization.
- Upload access files and metadata to the Internet Archive.
- Normalize metadata in an Islandora content management system.
- Pack materials for shipping to digitization vendors.
- Assist with collection curation and development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Interest in the fields of: archival science, library science, and audiovisual preservation.
- Interest in California history.
- Working knowledge of library and archives preservation principles, including digitization and metadata standards for long-term preservation and access.
- Experience with quality assurance and control procedures for digitized archival materials, including manuscripts, photographs, and audiovisual materials.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Lightroom, Premiere Pro, and Audition for quality control.
- Experience with handling and preservation of archival materials, including manuscripts, photographs, and audiovisual materials.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently, in an environment where consultation, flexibility and cooperation are essential.
- Comfortable with MS Office applications in Mac environments, particularly Excel.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
$19-21/hour, depending on experience; up to 20 hrs/week. Subsequent contracts dependent upon available funding. Student workers are welcome to arrange internships for credit with their institution. These positions begin immediately.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Director, California Revealed