The Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) University Library invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian with a specialization in data management services.
The Data Management Librarian understands the importance of data in relation to academic research and access to information. The person in this position will strategically develop a culture of data management practices from within the library and outward, to help our users engage more broadly in their respective fields. This person will communicate the importance of ethical data practices to prepare our users for work in various fields and inspire them to act responsibly as information citizens. Additionally, this person will enhance the co-curricular experience by promoting evidence-based research, as well as understandable and repeatable data practices.
Faculty status at Cal Poly Pomona requires excellence in teaching and advising, professional and scholarly achievements, and a commitment to service to the university. In addition, librarians at Cal Poly Pomona participate in reference, instruction and subject liaison responsibilities. Applicants whose work demonstrates a commitment to inclusive excellence and diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Promotes the adoption of sustainable, flexible, and interoperable data management practices to both faculty and students on campus
- Helps faculty and students understand the lifecycle of data research and educates them on ways to create, reuse, clean, and store data ethically/strategically
- Promotes open data practices among faculty through outreach and teaching
- Performs workshops related to data management, rights, tools, and preservation
- Facilitates research data management and sharing
Understands how to create sustainable data management plans for research datasets, especially for projects in need of grant funding
- Works with the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs to maintain an understanding of funding agency needs regarding research data
- Works with faculty and students on normalizing campus research datasets so they can be ingested into the Cal Poly Pomona institutional repository
- Reference, Instruction, and Collection Development duties as assigned
Anticipated Salary Hiring Range: $69,348 – $74,000
- Master’s degree in library science from a library school program accredited by the American Library Association or equivalent
- Evidence of potential to fulfill scholarly research and professional development requirements
- Experience with data management across the research lifecycle, including creating, processing, analyzing, preserving, accessing, and reusing research data
- Ability to collaborate across disciplines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks while meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service work as well as experience working in an inclusive environment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff in a rapidly changing information environment
- Experience in information management or working with data in a research context across multiple disciplines
- Workshop and instruction experience
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and data management planning
- Experience with statistical analysis tools and methods for qualitative and quantitative research