Website University of North Carolina Greensboro
Greensboro University Libraries invites applications for the position of Data Services Librarian. This person will support data initiatives at UNC Greensboro. We are looking for a learning-oriented creative problem solver with a strong public service ethic and an interest in teaching and outreach. The incumbent will create and implement effective and sustainable programs to meet the needs of faculty and researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, and library staff.
Reporting to the Head of Research, Outreach and Instruction, this person will work as part of a department of ten librarians and three staff members in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. In this role, the incumbent will also collaborate with personnel in departments across the University Libraries, including Technical Services, Special Collections and University Archives, and Electronic Resources and Information Technology (ERIT).
This is a twelve-month tenure-track faculty position. Demonstrated professional achievement including scholarly/creative activity are required for reappointment and tenure.
● Provide outreach and promotion for data services to faculty, students, and the community
● Provide in-depth research consultations on data discovery, data curation, and data management practices
● Provide course-integrated instruction and standalone workshops on data-related topics
● Engage with campus partners to make digital and scholarly data work openly discoverable, accessible, and reusable
● Serve as a liaison to relevant social sciences disciplines, which includes providing course-integrated information literacy instruction, research consultations, and collection development
● Teach data literacy skills to a variety of audiences and stay abreast of data literacy trends
● Support liaisons in all disciplines with data discovery needs
● Master’s degree in Library and Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited institution
● Experience with data discovery in a variety of disciplines
● Demonstrated knowledge of data management, curation, and preservation principles and practices
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member to solve problems
● Experience with data management applications (e.g., R, SAS, or SPSS)
● Knowledge of data literacy
● Knowledge of open data, data repositories, and the data life cycle
● Willingness to learn new statistical analysis tools or other relevant tools as needed
● Demonstrated commitment to principles of diversity and to serving underrepresented populations.
● Professional experience working with research data and/or in an academic library
● Experience in an academic or research library
● Professional experience working with data
● Experience with preparing data for analysis, visualization, and other procedures
Preference will be given to applications received by May 11, 2020. The position will remain open until filled. The start date is negotiable.
UNCG has a strong commitment to serve its highly diverse community. As such, UNCG welcomes applications from women, underrepresented racial/ethnic minority group members, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups and others who would enrich the University’s mission. UNCG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
To apply for this position, please upload an application letter addressing qualifications, along with a current curriculum vita and the names of three recent professional references at this site: https://spartantalent.uncg.edu/postings/16876