Research Institute for Contemporary Outlaws
Private collectors of mid-twentieth century counter-culture material seek part-time assistants for archival processing and administrative work in the University Park area of Los Angeles. This position is suitable for a graduate student enrolled in an MLIS program, but might also be of interest for those studying humanities or arts disciplines such as anthropology, history, sociology, visual arts, or graphic design. Some of the material is controversial in nature. Work will be under the daily supervision of the collector, as well as with training and additional supervision from a professional librarian/archivist, which may make this position eligible for course credit, depending on the criteria of graduate school programs.
Tasks may include a combination of:
- Arranging, describing, and rehousing photographs, albums, clippings, documents, textiles, film, audio and video digital files, and three-dimensional objects.
- Video editing.
- Graphic design.
- Scanning and digital file management.
- Creating and applying metadata to digital files according to cataloging standards.
- Background research on collection material.
- Occasional record keeping and making appointments for the collectors.
- Contributing to social media accounts by preparing posts and assisting with planning.
- Ordering supplies and tracking use.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Some training/experience in archival preservation methods and/or arrangement and description strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Photoshop and Excel.
- Comfortable in Mac environment.
- Experience with research methods and sources.
- Advanced understanding of social media applications, strategies, and trends.
- Ability to work independently and with good judgment.
- General knowledge of mid-twentieth century history or popular culture desired.
- Must be reliable, discreet, and willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Hours: 12-15 hours a week on a flexible schedule.
How to apply: Send an electronic copy of a cover letter and resume using the Apply button below.